Healthier Cheese Sauce (Nut-Free with Vegan Option)


I have been craving cheese sauce.  Cheese sauce with broccoli, with nachos, with pasta. But honestly, cheese sauce can be really fatty (and not good fat).  For the amount that I crave (read smothering whatever it's on), I really shouldn't indulge more than every once in awhile.  So I went on a search for better. This is what I found was best for me!  It's only good things!  Way lower calorie and nutritiously vegetable-based (so I can eat a lot of it without the guilt)!  It is not Velveeta, but it's a great tasting substitute in its own right!


Healthier Cheese Sauce (Nut-Free with Vegan Option)

Ingredients:

1 cup carrots shredded
1 medium russet potato cubed
1.5 cups chicken stock (or water with 1 cube buillion)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup Parmesan (or nutritional yeast - sometimes I make it with 1/8th cup parmesan and 1/8th cup nutritional yeast, because, although I'm not vegan, nutritional yeast is SOOOOOO good for you and very high in vitamin b12).
2 tbsp cornstarch 
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp onion powder (I often will add extra)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I often will add extra)
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4-1/2 cup salsa (I like mine HOT)
Salt to taste
(optional) Cayenne pepper to taste.

Procedure:

1.Boil potatoes and carrots until soft in the chicken stock. 
2.Once boiled, add carrots, potatoes, stock and all other ingeredients except the salsa to blender and blend till smooth and creamy.
3.Add back to pan and add salsa and salt to taste.  If too thick for you, can heat and simmer with some milk (any kind) till it's the consistency you prefer! May be stored in the refrigerator. Best served immediately!

Serving ideas:

Nachos, on a baked potato, over steamed broccoli (I add a can of tuna to mine, but maybe that's weird), with pasta (healthier mac and cheese), really wherever you'd usually add cheese sauce!


Share:

0 comments