Confessions of a Lazy, But Frugal Mom - Cloth Diapering, Not As Hard (Or As Gross) As I Thought.

So with baby number two on the way (arriving in about 3 months!), my mind has been thinking about how to get great deals on diapers.  My first baby I had planned to give cloth diapering a try, and got some diapers and inserts at my baby shower, but then never tried it, because I received so many disposable diapers from my work baby shower that I didn't need to buy diapers for 6 months.  But this baby is a second child, and not only that, but a second boy, so I won't be having a baby shower this go around.  This past week it occurred to me to read about cloth diapering again and maybe give it a try.  As a nurse, I really didn't like the idea of having to be in direct contact with poop or rinsing diapers in a toilet, for sanitary reasons.  The mental picture of having to don disposable gloves to scrub each poopy diaper seemed like a ridiculous hassle, not to mention messy.  Upon a little research, I quickly learned that my mental images of cloth diapering were slightly outdated, and maybe this wasn't such a crazy idea for a low-maintenance, germaphob, stay-at-home mom to try.  For the past week I've been doing it, and it's been really pretty easy, believe it or not.  I'm actually LOVING IT! Here are some of the things I learned this past month that make cloth diapering a very affordable and not so work-intensive choice:

My hurdles to cloth diapering...

1st major hurdle: POOP

Turns out that there are some fantastic new inventions in the world of cloth diapering that make it unnecessary to buy a sprayer or do any scrubbing:  LINERS!  Flushable liners and disposable ones.  You just place them over the pad in the diaper and it catches all the poop junk and lets the liquids go through.  All you have to do is pick up the liner by the edges and toss, and then the rest of the cloth diaper can go right into the laundry bin!  So simple.  Basically the same amount of poop handling as with disposables.

2nd major hurdle:  Start up costs

Just a quick internet search will show you that cloth diapers can actually be kind of expensive - this is a major deterrent for people who would like to try it out, but aren't sure they will like it.  Thankfully, there are, indeed, cheaper (sometimes even free) ways to try out the cloth diapering world, I found out!  I'll talk about this more, shortly.

3rd major hurdle:  Laundering concerns

I was really afraid that I would be dealing with a lot of stinky, poop stained, and complicated laundry (special detergents, water temps, drying, etc). But cloth diaper laundry can also be pretty hands-free and doesn't really have to change your current laundry habits/costs very much, if you already do laundry at least 2 times a week (that's the minimum frequency that I recommend washing diapers to prevent stains and smells setting in)

Washing:

The key I am learning is quick-rinsing just your diapers with cold water first really prevents stains and smells from setting in.  I try not to wait longer than a few days (the longer you wait, the more likely that smells /stains will set in) to rinse them.  After the quick, cold rinse in the washer, they usually are fine to add to our regular laundry with detergent (sometimes I'll add some vinegar or baking soda to boost my detergent(not both!)) with no risks of stinking up our other clothes.  It's true that you have to be mindful what detergent you use with cloth diapers, because certain ones react with the ammonia or can harm the diaper materials, but you don't need a special "diaper detergent".  We use free and clear detergents (Usually Purex, Seventh Generation, or Arm and Hammer) already, due to my husband's eczema, and all of those are safe.  Some scented ones are also safe. Below is an article listing cloth-diaper-safe regular detergents:

https://momlovesbest.com/diapering/cloth-diapers/detergents-for-cloth-diapers

You also can't use fabric softeners, because they decrease the absorbency of the inserts.

Drying:

Usually you always have to air dry your diaper covers. Line drying outside is ideal, because the sun naturally removes staining too, but I'm too lazy to take it outside, so I just hang my covers in my laundry room.

The inserts and prefolds are almost always safe to be dried in the dryer (but double check manufacture instructions to be safe).

4th most major hurdle: is it actually worth it?
When you add up the start-up costs and water and electricity usage with laundry, are you really saving enough that it's worth it? 

Depends.  It wasn't worth it for me the first year with my firstborn, because I received so many disposables for free. It also may not be worth it if both spouses work and baby is in daycare, from a convenience standpoint. 

When I calculated the cost of disposable diapers for us versus the costs associated with cloth diapering the first year (factoring in buying cloth diapers, too) one child it only saves us $10(washing 4 times/week)- $20(washing twice a week) dollars per month.  However, with two kids, the savings close to triple per month, because laundry frequency does not change. This is a unique savings amount to our family, since we don't use brand name disposable diapers. I have been able to buy generic diapers for only 10 cents or less a diaper, since having my son, which is close to half the cost of name brand diapers. So, for us, the cost difference is smaller than if you usually use brand name diapers.  It would  almost double your savings if you usually use brand name.



Diaper rashes, sensitive skin:

 Turns out cloth diapering actually is much better for preventing diaper rashes!  I have already noticed a big difference in my son's lack of rashes after only a week.


For us, with me staying at home and able to add the few extra steps, it seems worth it, especially with child #2 coming.  We cloth diaper when we are at home only, and at night we still use disposables, because my son is a heavy wetter. We also use disposables when we are traveling, for convenience sake.


Best, cost-effective diapering methods and overcoming the start-up cost hurdle:

I researched so many types and methods of cloth diapering before trying it myself, and what I found to be the most cost-effective and least labor intensive is using wipeable covers with prefolds, flats and or inserts (and for me, disposable liners, for sure!).

The simplest method for cloth diapering is to use one-size-fits-all (7-36lbs) wipeable covers (5-6 per child) and inserts, prefolds or flats on the inside (20-24 per child). You can reinforce with microfiber for added absorbency. Just never put microfiber directly next to the skin, because it can actually wick/pull moisture out of the baby's skin.  Always have cotton or some other safer material, like a fleece liner, directly on the skin.

What I use right now:

I am currently using these one-size pocket diapers (I use them as covers instead of pockets) that were a fantastic deal and very well made at only 23 bucks for 6, including 6 inserts!:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7TQ0ZS/?coliid=I26MGP063IHL26&colid=36V1RJJD803SG&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

They are generic Alva pockets and they come with microfiber inserts included. I only have one set of 6, but by using them as covers (which allows me to reuse the same cover multiple times by just switching the inserts every 2-3 hours) and buying extra prefolds, flats, and inserts, this has been enough for me to cloth diaper and do cloth diaper laundry only 3 times a week.  If I find I need more diapers, I will be reordering these (unless I find some cheaper used cloth diaper covers).

I also bought these bamboo inserts that I LOVE because they are very absorbent and safe for baby skin:

https://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Natures-Inserts-Charcoal-Reusable/dp/B00KN0TPNA/ref=sr_1_16?keywords=bamboo+liners&qid=1551280780&s=baby-products&sr=1-16

TIP: If you're having a baby shower, ask for cloth diapers on your registry - then they are totally free!

Covers (4-6 per child):

Buying new:

If you are ok with spending a little up front, you will not be disappointed by one-size Flips diaper covers. You will need 4-6 of them, but they are so easy to use and are made with PUL lining which makes it easy to wipe or rinse clean and they dry fast, so you can use just 2 covers a day, and just swap between them (while one is in use, the other can air dry to be used again).

Cloth diaper deals:

This is another off-brand Alva set of 8 with 8 inserts for 30 bucks that looks like a fantastic deal on Amazon, but I haven't used them personally:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVDJJGJ/?coliid=I1SNDV0402YHD&colid=36V1RJJD803SG&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1


Or this deal - 30 bucks for 6 generic Alva's, 6 bamboo inserts, a roll of disposable liners, and a wetbag (great for traveling):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UV7G7ZO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EJSDCbBW7TG5Y

I also found some generic Flip diapers (6 for 43 bucks) on amazon that seem to have pretty good reviews, but be aware they do not include inserts:

https://www.amazon.com/BB2-Solid-Leak-free-Diaper-Prefolds/dp/B00R2B9VP0/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=wipeable+diaper+covers&qid=1551280546&s=baby-products&sr=1-21


I have also heard people have found new generic diapers and inserts for 1-2 bucks per diaper on Wish.com.  I cannot vouch for quality, personally, as I've never ordered from them, but it looks like they have some fantastic deals (better than Amazon).

Buying / Receiving Used:

I see used cloth diapers on Craigslist, Letgo app, ebay.com, and mercari.com all the time! Sometimes they are even free! I've seen them at some thrift stores, kid's consignment shops, garage sales, and consignment sales.

Sometimes just announcing to your friends, family, or on neighborhood FB groups/forums that you are hoping to cloth diaper, will lead to people giving you their old cloth diapers or inserts for free.

Used is almost always my go-to! If I had not been gifted new ones at my baby shower, I'd very likely have bought used. Just make sure the waterproof layer of fabric, called pul, is still in good condition.

Inserts (need at least 20-24 per child):

Flats:

They are 100% cotton (so one of the safest materials for baby's skin) and naturally absorbent. Flour sack towels are the best flats and they are the most affordable diaper option that you can buy.  Just this past week I noticed Walmart had them on clearance in the kitchen towel section for 50 cents/towel.  Great deal! For added absorbency, you can wrap a microfiber cloth inside.

Prefolds:

These are flats that have been pre-folded and stitched so that the highest absorbancy is in the middle.  You can very easily make your own prefolds from flour sacks, flannel receiving blankets, or flats if you have access to a sewing machine or you can just buy them.  Gerber prefolds can be found online and at Walmart.

Inserts:

Of course you can also buy the pre-made inserts that are the simplest to use in many cases.  Bamboo inserts are my personal favorite for their high absorbency. But purchasing inserts is often the more expensive option compared to the above (but still not bad, at all).


Liners

 Can buy on Amazon:

 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017U5287A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_lQSDCb9W2RVG8

Or make your own with stripped/washed diaper wipes (what I, personally, do - using Parent's Choice brand): 

https://youtu.be/l61n-QYG3UA

You can also use Viva paper towels for liners:

http://diydisposablediaperliners.blogspot.com/2013/08/diy-disposable-cloth-diaper-liners.html


SEWING YOUR OWN:

There are also lots of patterns if you want to make your own covers or inserts. These are some that I found that are free and look great.  I highly recommend using PUL material for your covers, because it will make covers waterproof and it's very durable. But you can also use fleece or wool for covers. 

INSERTS:

Free Insert Patterns:

https://www.thinking-about-cloth-diapers.com/make-cloth-diaper-inserts.html

COVERS:

Free Flip Cover Patterns:

http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.com/2013/03/flip-style-diaper-cover.html

http://alittledancer.blogspot.com/2013/07/cloth-diaper-tutorial-how-to-make-flip.html

Free Pocket Cover Patterns:

https://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/2007/10/classic-rrp-ritas-rump-pocket-pattern.html

https://sewguide.com/cloth-diaper-patterns-for-babies/



My Personal Cloth Diapering System:

Here is how I have my diaper set up at home:




I use a Dekor diaper pail for tossing my poopy liners and a grocery sack-lined, small trash can with a closing lid for my dirty inserts and covers. I have had no problems with smells lingering in the room, so far. And this is located in our living room!


And this is how I set up my Alva style pocket diapers (using as cover):



By using the Alva style diaper as a cover, as opposed to a pocket, I can reuse the cover several times without having to wash, usually. Obviously, if poop gets on it, it has to go in the laundry. 






So that's what I have so far in my cloth diaper research.  I'll close with this inspirational video that truly showed me how affordable cloth diapering can be if you are willing to get creative.

Video Showing How to Cloth Diaper for Almost Nothing, If You Need To:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhBndl2GtmA

Share:

0 comments