Toddler Friendly Naturally-Sweetened Mug Cake


My son isn't allowed to have added sugar, so it can make events where cake is served more difficult.  This is my recent toddler-friendly cake recipe. Pretty quick to whip up and cook in the microwave in a pinch! My recent try was baking it in a donut-shaped container for "National Donut Day" so that my son could still participate.

Fruit-Sweetened Mug Cake

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons mashed sweet potato or pumpkin
1 pureed ripe banana
1/4 cup dried fruit pureed (I used prunes because my son loves them)
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons flaxmeal(or flour of choice... Might even be able to do whey protein)
1 egg
Optional add-ins: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger/nutmeg/cloves for a spiced cake (add more to taste for more spice), or 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder for chocolate.

Directions:

Pour into mug (may need two mugs, depending on how big mug is), ramiken, or microwave-safe donut molds. 

Microwave 1.5 -2.5 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

This recipe would be great for making a personal amount of cupcakes, too, probably... I just don't know baking details yet, since I haven't tried.

Toppings:
Can top with shredded unsweetened coconut like in the picture or peanut butter / crushed peanuts, or Chocolate Bean Hummus, or banana mixed with cream cheese.

Share:

0 comments